Areas of Care:
Specialty: Cataract and glaucoma surgery
Dr. Schwartz is a highly accomplished cataract and glaucoma surgeon with a special interest and expert advanced training in refractive cataract surgery and complex glaucoma surgery including tube shunt procedures. He did his sub-specialty training at U.S. News & World Report's #1 ranked Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami, Fla. The majority of his practice is comprised of cataract and glaucoma patients referred in from other doctors. Dr. Schwartz lectures on cataract and glaucoma surgery and diseases of the eye and continues to be a sought after surgical instructor for the doctors in training at Georgetown University Hospital and the Washington Hospital Center. He is one of Washingtonian Magazine's Top Doctors and is listed in the National Guide of America's Top Ophthalmologists and in the Washington DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia Doctors Guide.
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, Fla., Glaucoma subspecialty fellowship (Ranked #1 by U.S. News & World Report)
- Washington Hospital Center, Washington, D.C., Ophthalmology Residency, Chief Resident
- Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D.C., Internship Internal Medicine
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Md.
- New York University, New York City, N.Y., Post-Baccalaureate
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich., B.A. Cum Laude
Academic Appointments and Affiliations
- Georgetown University and Washington Hospital Center: Senior Attending Surgeon for resident training and physician advisor for the Glaucoma Review Board.
- Board Certification:
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Fellow
- American Medical Association, Fellow
Awards and Publications
- Duane's Textbook of Ophthalmology- Chapter 19 Co-Author (Laser Surgery in Glaucoma).
- Joseph Dessoff Award in Ophthalmology from Washington Hospital Center
- Resident's Day Research Award, 1st place.
- Peer Reviewed Journal publications on medical and surgical management of routine and complex glaucoma cases as well as the use of diagnostic imaging techniques after glaucoma surgery.
- Frequent lecturer on sub-specialty topics related to eye disease, cataract and glaucoma surgical techniques and the use of advanced imaging techniques to diagnose and monitor patients with glaucoma and cataract.
Dr. Schwartz does work abroad to train local surgeons in advanced surgical techniques. Dr. Schwartz has done mission work in Peru and Ghana where he treats complex cases and trains local physicians.